With the midterm elections behind us — take a deep breath, folks — Philadelphia is off and running with the most important election for our city’s future: The next mayor. Just after Labor Day, three City Councilmembers resigned and threw their hats in the ring: Maria Quiñones-Sánchez, Derek Green and Cherelle Parker. A few weeks later — just after releasing her scathing audit of the Philadelphia Police Department — now former Controller Rebecca Rhynhart followed suit.
That’s six candidates so far — and there might be a couple more before the primary in May.
The good news: The 2023 lineup of mayoral candidates just might be one of Philly’s most talented, and not coincidentally diverse, slate in recent memory. The less good news: We have a lot of questions that need answering before the end.
What local leaders have what it takes to govern a city plagued with gun violence, debilitating poverty rates and trash piling up on our streets? Who can lead and govern? Who can turn politics into policy? Who can be the champion this city needs? Will we finally elect a woman, for the first time in our city’s history? Will we get another City Councilmember, as usual — or one of those outside the chamber?
We’ve been keeping track of all the most important news about the 2023 Philadelphia mayor’s race, from a good governance-focused, solutions-minded lens, to help you make the smartest, most informed vote. Keep tuned into this space for a tally of who’s exploring, who’s running, the latest news about the Philly mayor’s race and a wishlist of disruptors (see below) whose leadership, vision and managerial skills model what we need in our next chief executive.
Here’s What We Know About the Mayor’s Race in Philly
- Allan Domb: What you need to know about the Center City real estate magnate and mayoral candidate
- Jeff Brown: What you need to know about the community-minded grocery store owner and mayoral candidate
- Cherelle Parker: What you need to know about the mayoral candidate
- Derek Green: What you need to know about the mayoral candidate
- Maria Quiñones-Sañchez: What you need to know about the mayoral candidate
- Rebecca Rhynhart: The City Controller resigns to launch her mayoral bid
- The next mayor’s most important goal? Increasing the city to two million residents.
- Here’s hoping that candidates for mayor will concede that political skills are not just about getting elected, but are also critical to governing.
Who’s Running For Mayor of Philadelphia in 2023
(click on the images to learn more about each candidate)
Who’s Probably Running For Mayor of Philadelphia in 2023
Eight Local Leaders Who Could Make Great Philly Mayors (or at least have qualities we need)
(click on the images for more info about each person)