Just after Labor Day 2022, the Philadelphia mayor’s race began when three City Councilmembers resigned to throw their hats in the ring: Maria Quiñones Sánchez, Derek Green and Cherelle Parker. A few weeks later — just after releasing her scathing audit of the Philadelphia Police Department — former City Controller Rebecca Rhynhart followed suit.
In the first week post-midterms, both former City Councilmember Allan Domb and grocery store owner Jeff Brown joined the fray. Next came progressive former At-Large Councilmember Helen Gym, retired Municipal Court Judge (and long shot) Jimmy DeLeon, and freshman State Representative Amen Brown. In mid-February, Republican At-Large City Councilmember David Oh resigned to add his name to the primary ballot.
In early April 2023, Maria Quiñones Sánchez became the first candidate to suspend her campaign, saying the campaign couldn’t keep up financially with those of her self-, PAC- and union-funded candidates. In mid-April, Derek Green withdrew from the race.
The good news: The 2023 lineup of mayoral candidates just might be one of Philly’s most talented, and, not coincidentally, diverse, slate in recent memory. The less good news: We have a lot of questions that need answering before the end.
What local leaders have what it takes to govern a city plagued with gun violence, debilitating poverty rates and trash piling up on our streets? Who can lead and govern? Who can turn politics into policy? Who can be the champion this city needs? Will we finally elect a woman, for the first time in our city’s history? Will we get another City Councilmember, as usual — or one of those outside the chamber?
We’ve been keeping track of all the most important news about the 2023 Philadelphia mayor’s race, from a good governance-focused, solutions-minded lens, to help you make the smartest, most informed vote. Keep tuned into this space for a tally of who’s exploring, who’s running, the latest news about the Philly mayor’s race.
Who’s Running to Be Mayor of Philadelphia
- David Oh: What you need to know about the first Republican candidate and three-term City Councilmember from Cobbs Creek
- Amen Brown: What you need to know about the freshman Pennsylvania State Representative from West Philadelphia
- Helen Gym: What you need to know about the two-time former At-Large Councilperson and progressive activist
- Jimmy DeLeon: What you should know about the retired Municipal Court Judge and candidate for mayor of Philadelphia
- Allan Domb: What you need to know about the two-term former At-Large Councilmember and Center City real estate magnate
- Jeff Brown: What you need to know about the community-minded grocery store owner and mayoral candidate
- Cherelle Parker: What you need to know about the two-term former City Councilmember who represented the 9th District
- Rebecca Rhynhart: The former City Controller who resigned to launch her mayoral bid
Candidates in the 2023 Mayor’s Race
(click on the images to learn more about each candidate)
Formerly Running for Mayor of Philadelphia
(click on the images to learn more about each former candidate)
Every Voice, Every Vote is a collaborative project managed by The Lenfest Institute for Journalism. Lead support is provided by the William Penn Foundation with additional funding from The Lenfest Institute, the Wyncote Foundation, and the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, among others. To learn more about the project and view a full list of supporters, visit www.everyvoice-everyvote.org. Editorial content is created independently of the project’s donors.
MORE ON THE 2023 PHILADELPHIA MAYOR’S RACE
Candidates for Mayor of Philadelphia