We are currently looking to fill the following positions:
The Philadelphia Citizen, a civic-minded nonprofit media outlet, is seeking a full-time Philadelphia-based reporter to cover Philadelphia news and culture with a solutions journalism lens. We are looking for a skilled writer and reporter who has:
- At least one year of experience covering news
- An ability to turn around smart, probing, nuanced articles every week that do not necessarily break news, but add a solutions and civic-minded lens on to the stories of the day
- A passion for democracy, civic engagement and change in Philadelphia
- A willingness to be skeptical of conventional wisdom from both sides of the political spectrum, and from both those in power and those seeking it
- A willingness to learn, or become more skilled at, solutions journalism, as well as journalism that seeks to instill specific action in readers
- A knowledge of Philadelphia, its communities, its challenges and successes a strong preference
The job will include:
- Pitching, reporting and writing around 2 solutions / action-oriented stories a week that are smart, probing and nuanced
- In-person attendance at weekly all staff meeting and regular editorial meetings
- Cooperation with social media and marketing teams to promote articles
- Cooperation with podcast team to create audio articles from your reporting
- Community outreach to find and report on stories that are in neighborhoods around the city, as well as
- Source development to find and report on stories that affect all Philadelphians
Why work with us?
- We are rethinking journalism to be about more than just facts. We are advocates — for a better Philadelphia, for strengthening democracy, for equitably growing wealth, and for change.
- You will be part of a team whose mission is to empower citizens to be engaged in their city.
- Your future colleagues are an extremely competent and passionate team dedicated to making Philadelphia a better place for everyone
- You’ll work from home mostly, while enjoying socialization once a week at an in-person team meeting and also at events
- You get to connect with changemakers and thought leaders locally and nationally
- In addition to paid time off, we have a weekly flex work day
- Continued learning and professional development (like conferences or online programs) are encouraged and have the opportunity to be financially sponsored by The Citizen
This is a full-time position in the $50-60,000 range with a health stipend and PTO. You will report to the executive and deputy editors.
We are dedicated to building a team that is reflective of all people in Philadelphia, and encourage people from all different backgrounds to apply. Please reach out to let us know if you need any assistance with the application process. Send your resume and a brief cover letter to: [email protected]
The Philadelphia Citizen is looking for experienced Philadelphia-based reporters who are critical thinkers with a passion for telling stories that are civic-minded; problem-solving; contextual; and smart.
Please send brief cover letter and links or PDFs of articles or relevant work to [email protected].
The Philadelphia Citizen provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Philadelphia Citizen complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. The Philadelphia Citizen expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment.