We are currently in the eleventh week of the coronavirus pandemic.
The city is currently in “high risk of community transmission” mode. Non-essential businesses and government buildings are shuttered, and the City of Philadelphia reports rising cases every day. You can see more about the city’s testing data here.
You can stay on top of the City of Philadelphia’s regular updates on the coronavirus epidemic here, along with a variety of resources and services to help you get through this experience. You can also text COVIDPHL to 888-777 to get regular updates from the Department of Public Health.
Below you’ll find some of the ways we’ve been covering the pandemic, including analysis on the City’s response, resources to provide or get help and stories about ways in which the community is stepping up to help those in need.
Latest coronavirus news in Philly
- Drexel’s Bruce Katz worked with Senator Cory Booker on his RELIEF for Main Street Act—a lifeline to small and minority-owned businesses supported by 100 mayors. Will Congress pass it?
- A climate expert at Penn co-wrote a letter urging Congress to green its pandemic response. Could the public investments he supports help solve Philly’s poverty epidemic, too?
- In this guest commentary, a soon-to-be Princeton grad and local resident calls on Gov. Wolf to use his powers to make testing more widely available. The state, he says, depends on it
- A Philly chef makes and sells tamales with out-of-work immigrant cooks hit hard by the pandemic—and ineligible for unemployment
- CDFIs like North Philly’s Beech Business Bank invest in inner city mom-and-pop businesses. So why weren’t they giving out federal Paycheck Protection Program funds?
More Philadelphia coronavirus news…
HOW TO STAY HEALTHY DURING THE CORONAVIRUS
HOW TO HELP DURING THE PANDEMIC
HOW PHILLY IS FIGHTING COVID-19
THINGS TO DO DURING CORONAVIRUS
THE CORONAVIRUS AND POLITICS
THE CORONAVIRUS AND THE ECONOMY
THE CORONAVIRUS AND EDUCATION
PHILADELPHIANS ON THE PANDEMIC
Header image courtesy R. Kennedy / Visit Philadelphia