The Philadelphia Citizen is a nonprofit civic media organization that combines solutions-oriented journalism & thought-provoking events with specific tools for civic action.
We are currently looking to fill the following positions:
The Philadelphia Citizen, a nonprofit news site that produces solutions-based journalism with an eye to ignite civic engagement, is looking for experienced Philadelphia-based writers who are critical thinkers, with a passion for telling stories that are civic-minded; problem-solving; contextual; and smart.
Please send brief cover letter and links or PDFs to articles or relevant work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer 2020 Internship
Internship applications are already being considered for summer 2020. All positions offer the opportunity to help shape a publication whose mission goes well beyond journalism: to make Philadelphia better by giving Philadelphians the tools and inspiration to become more civically engaged.
Having a small, dedicated staff means interns can contribute in meaningful ways, gaining experience in journalism, graphic design, nonprofits, startups and civic engagement. We require all interns to be available on Tuesdays and Fridays.
If interested, please submit a resume, cover letter and clips and/or portfolio (for graphic design interns) to email@example.com, and with the subject line: “Summer Internship.”
Please be sure your cover letter addresses:
- Why you’d like to work at The Citizen
- Whether you’re applying for an editorial or graphic design role
- Examples of articles, features or design elements (for graphic design applicants) you enjoy on The Citizen
- Examples of the kinds stories or design projects (for graphic design applicants) you’d be interested in contributing to The Citizen
We’ll begin the hiring process around the first of May.
While interns wear many hats on our team, here are some of the most common projects they tackle:
- Attending weekly all-staff meetings
- Generating and pitching story ideas for the site, social media, podcasts, and more
- Conducting research for editors and writers
- Transcribing interviews for editors and writers
- Staffing Citizen’s civic-minded social events, typically held on weekday evenings approximately 2-3 times per month
- Conducting on-the-street interviews and/or photo sessions
- Writing articles and guides individually and in collaboration with fellow interns and staff
- Supporting social media channels as needed
- Preparing design materials (for graphic design interns)
We are looking for reliable self-starters who are bursting with good ideas and thoughtful questions. We look forward to hearing from you.
The Philadelphia Citizen provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Philadelphia Citizen complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Philadelphia Citizen expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Philadelphia Citizen’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.