Below are the current open positions with The Philadelphia Citizen.
Social Action/Events Coordinator
Encouraging Philadelphians to become civically active in their neighborhoods and their city is a critical part of The Citizen’s mission. As such, this position is of critical importance. It requires a strategic and nimble thinker who can help Philadelphians find their path to civic engagement through events, partnerships, and connecting Citizen stories to real-world action.
Responsibilities will include:
- Organizing small and medium-sized events related to Citizen content, and coordinating with outside consultant on larger Citizen programming
- Connecting Citizens to volunteer and other engagement opportunities
- Building partnerships with community groups and nonprofits
- Overseeing some administrative functions of the Citizen
- Creating and updating action guides on the Citizen website
- Equipping Citizen stories with links to ways readers can make a real world difference
If interested, please send a cover letter, resume and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Internship positions are available in every department for the fall and spring. All positions offer the opportunity to help shape a one-year-old publication whose mission goes well beyond journalism: To make Philadelphia better by giving Philadelphians the tools and inspiration to become more civically-engaged. Having a small, dedicated staff means interns can contribute well beyond just their job descriptions, gaining experience in journalism, nonprofits, startups and civic engagement.
Both paid and unpaid internships are available.
Editorial interns will:
- Help with the research and writing of articles on The Citizen website, with opportunities to contribute articles on a variety of topics related to Philadelphia
- Attend editorial meetings with editors and writers to brainstorm story ideas
- Take on various tasks related to content on the website
- Have a voice in how stories are presented on the site, with the opportunity to weigh in on editorial decisions
- Help as needed at events
- Jump in wherever else needed!
Please send a letter of interest, a brief bio and clips if you have them to email@example.com
Civic engagement interns will:
- Help develop new partnerships with community organizations and key influencers
- Serve as community liaisons on behalf of The Citizen
- Identify events and promotional opportunities
- Represent The Citizen at public events
- Assist with organizing and setting up Citizen events
- Jump in wherever else needed!
Please send a letter of interest and a brief bio to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Philadelphia Citizen provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Philadelphia Citizen complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Philadelphia Citizen expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Philadelphia Citizen’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.